Guide to Holiday Wellness and Self-Care
For many of people we are in the midst of a very busy, exciting season. Unfortunately, in addition to all the fun and joy, stress levels also tend to rise. That makes this a perfect time to seek self-care.
As people prepare to travel, cook, and spend time with relatives, they often neglect their personal wellness. This can lead to increased stress or even illness. Taking care of yourself, especially during hectic times, is very important. After all, you can’t give from an empty cup. Practicing self-care will make it easier to do all those wonderful things you have planned.
Self-care involves paying attention to your thoughts, feelings, expectations, and interactions. Remember: optimal wellness means balance in ALL areas of your life, not just physical health.
Putting your health and well-being on your “to do” list doesn’t have to be difficult or time consuming. Here are some quick and easy wellness tips to use during the holiday season:
1) Calm your mind and body by taking a few deep, centering breaths throughout the day.
2) Have realistic expectations for yourself and for others - sometimes that means not having ANY expectations.
3) Don’t beat up on yourself if something doesn't get done. The sun will come up tomorrow!
4) Forgive yourself, and others. This can be a stressful time for many...take it easy, love and let it go.
5) Say good-bye to guilt when you don't make the healthiest food choices, and make a better choice next time.
6) Prioritize getting enough sleep. It will help you feel more energetic and help your immune system stay strong.
7) Laughter is great medicine.
8) Take a quiet walk. Reconnecting with nature can release your worries and ground your busy brain.
9) Express gratitude. There is ALWAYS something to be grateful for.