We’ve all heard the phrase; the key to happiness begins with yourself, but is it really that simple? The answer is…it can be when you use gratitude. Science tells us that grateful people are happier. Being grateful is a powerful way to reset your mood and dispel negativity. Here are some simple ways to get in the ATTIDUTE of GRATITUDE!
1) Keep a gratitude journal – It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, but if fancy makes you feel good, then go for it! Pick a time of day and record people, situations and things you are grateful for. It can also be great to go back to and read through when you’re having struggles keeping positive.
2) Express gratitude for others in person – Many times we are quick to say thank you in text, but we may not actually say it to others in person. Connecting with others has become harder and harder in our technology-based society. Finding the gratitude in your heart, channeling that feeling up, and making eye-contact with others as you express that gratitude verbally is much more powerful.
3) Pause and practice patience – We all get caught up in the busyness of life at times, but taking time to pause and practice patience can help us refocus on what’s important. Be grateful for the little things, too!
4) Do something for yourself everyday - Self-care is not selfish. This is where you truly thank yourself, by loving yourself.
5) Volunteer in your community – This doesn’t have to take a lot of time and can be simple. Whether it’s a food pantry, a church or school organization, or simple litter removal, helping others and your community just feels good. Plus, feeling like you are making a difference sparks inspiration, gratitude and self-worth. You have purpose!